The Case for Automating
By Rick Nadler, Sales Director, Starfish
Is it just me or is instant gratification important to you, too?
In our daily lives we’ve grown accustomed to getting what we need now, not later. Whether it’s real-time information or on-demand services, we expect instant results. However, businesses are struggling to find ways to satisfy us when it comes to making their labor-intensive & tedious business processes easier, faster and more efficient. For many businesses, automation is the answer and is being embraced to respond to constant change and to drive operational efficiencies.
When it comes to managing communications for the contact center or the desktop, businesses stand to achieve significant benefits by replacing manual tasks with automated business processes that integrate with IT systems such as Active Directory, Identity Managers and HR applications. Automation drives what we refer to today as digital transformation - a faster, more reliable and efficient communications operation.
Enterprises can streamline and automate end-to-end business processes and drive digital transformation in several ways:
- Process streamlining and optimization
A fully integrated and adaptive workflow engine allows enterprises to customize automated processes to fit their unique needs.
- Improved overall IT operational efficiency
Automation reduces risks and inconsistencies associated with human error. Automation can mean instant processing and/or reduce overall processing times.
- Increased employee productivity and business agility
Communication resources are managed dramatically faster, with substantially reduced administrative effort. This results in improved business communication capability and faster reaction to dynamic business conditions.
What’s the ROI?
Perhaps the best business case for automating communication management lies in the ROI which can be determined by analyzing several common data elements including:
- Infrastructure data points (number or users, agents, communication systems, etc.).
- Provisioning activity (number of requests & systems that require touching).
- Volume of tickets to be automated (voicemail password resets, IP phone password resets, button changes, move/add/change/delete – MACD – requests).
- Cost and time per transaction type (if metrics are available, the ROI analysis is easier).
- Amount of employee churn (high churn environments are ideal for automation).
In addition to hard dollar savings that can be achieved with automation, there are many soft benefits to consider as well including:
- Increased productivity by reducing the normal amount of time to complete a task (can be turned into hard dollars).
- Heightened end-user satisfaction derived from immediate resolution to requests such as resetting passwords, changing phone settings and other communication-related services.
- Greater volume of transactions can be processed without increasing head count.
In the Final Analysis
IT professionals will continue to be challenged to find innovative and cost-effective ways to drive operational efficiencies and digital transformation. One proven solution that every large enterprise should consider is technology that automates communication management – particularly around business processes and service ticket requests.
Many of the world’s largest corporations are already experiencing impressive results using automation – often with an ROI of under six months. It’s clear that automation will play an even larger role in the future as businesses try to “do more with less” while trying to meet the instant gratification expectations of their employees and customers.
Starfish automation solutions can drive digital transformation in your enterprise. Contact us today at 908-243-2900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Was this blog helpful? If you'd like to learn more please fill out the form below to download our FREE whitepaper,Transforming Enterprise Communication Management: How Automation Drives Digital Transformation